piątek, 19 sierpnia 2016

Interview with Olly Murs

Olly Murs is a talented British singer from Essex who hit the radio charts with such songs as "Heart Skips a Beat" (with Rizzle Kicks), "Dance with Me Tonight", "Troublemaker" (with Flo Rida) and "Up" (with Demi Lovato). In 2011 he was awarded on BBC Radio 1 Teen Awards for his debut album „Olly Murs” and two years later he won Best British Solo Artist at the same contest. Olly is now working on his upcoming fifth album. In the interview he is talking about the best moments in his career, his work with talented artists and he also reveals some news about his new record.


Your career started in 2009 from "X-Factor" and now you have released four successful albums and the fifth one is on the way. Which moment from your career do you consider the most remarkable and why?

Thank you! Yes, to be releasing my 5th album is pretty crazy, 7 years after finishing on "X Factor". I have so many career highlights, it’s very hard to talk about one being the most remarkable. Having ‘firsts’ in my career are the things I will always remember though – having my first number 1 single, my first number 1 album and selling out my 1st arena tour. I hope to have many more ‘firsts’ though, as there is still so much more I want to achieve. 

Your songs are not only about being in love and dealing with a broken heart (but a lot of them are), but also about never giving up and chasing your dreams. What is your key to being successful in the music industry? Did you have any problems about dealing with fame and people's attention?

I think the key to being successful in the music industry is definitely hard work. Like with any job, you get back what you put into it. I work very hard at this job, and don’t take anything for granted. Part of the job is the fame and attention, and yes it sometime can be hard – but the majority of the time I love it, as it’s the public that have made me famous, and continue to buy my music.

During your musical career you have been working with a lot of great people from the music industry: Robbie Williams, Ryan Tedder from OneRepublic, Demi Lovato and Flo Rida. Was it difficult to encourage them to work with you? Which of these collaborations you are most proud of?

I’ve really enjoyed all of the collaborations I have had on my music. Ryan Tedder sent me a song which I then recorded and released, so there was no persuasion there. I also wanted to have Flo Rida on "Troublemaker", so that was the only person we approached for the record. He heard it, recorded his rap and sent it back – so again that was pretty easy! Demi and I hadn’t met, but again, she loved the song and we got to perform it on the final of "XF" in the UK. It was just a shame we couldn’t promote it in the US as we couldn’t get our schedules to match. Robbie and I are mates, so anything we have done together has been easy, and brilliant fun. I am actually most proud of my collaboration with Paul Weller (from UK band the Jam), as I grew up listening to him, and we wrote a song together ‘Let Me In’ on my last record. It was very surreal, but a day I will never forget.

Apart from being a gifted singer, you are also a talented sportsman - you have played four times for the England Team at Soccer Aid. What are your favourite ways of spending free time and what role does sport play in your life?

Football is definitely my next passion after music so whenever I get the chance to play or watch it I will. I play for a local team in Essex every week which is great fun. I wouldn’t say I enjoy training or working out, but it’s become a big part of my life, and I try and do it 2-3 times a week to feel good and in shape. I also just like spending time with my family and close mates from Essex when I have time off. I have two beautiful nephews that are a lot of fun!!

You have also occasionally been involved in modeling, acting and television presenting. If you weren't a singer, which of these career paths would you choose to do professionally?

I would like to think that if I wasn’t in music I could have done something with football… I definitely wouldn’t have got into modelling! And acting is something I would love to try, but I’m not sure it would be a full time career. I’d probably say television presenting or being a radio presenter would be a good career path, and they are both things I want to continue to do in the future.

On 8 July 2016 you released a new song called "You Don't Know Love" as a promotional single for your upcoming fifth album. Can we expect some guest appearences on your new record? Are you planning to come to Poland during your next tour?


Yes I am definitely planning on having some collaborations on this record. We are currently working on them at the moment. I also wrote a song with MNEK who is having huge success as a producer and artist in the UK right now. The tracks we did on the record is very cool and different. I would love to come to Poland – hopefully there will be a promotional opportunity for me there soon.


If you want to learn more about Olly Murs and his musical career, please visit his official Facebook website:

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz