środa, 30 stycznia 2019

Interview with Karla Mosley

Karla Mosley is an American actress, well-known for the roles of Christina Moore Boudreau in "Guiding Light" and Maya Avant in "The Bold and the Beautiful". She started her career from children's TV show "Hi-5", in which she played from 2003 to 2006. She also played in musicals "Dreamgirls" and "Expatriate" and recorded her original songs. In the interview, Karla is talking about the beginning of her acting career, playing transsexual Maya Avant, her love for music and plans for the future.


Before you joined the cast of "The Bold and the Beautiful", you took part in children's TV show "Hi-5" with silly dances and crazy excersises. What are your favourite memories from this funny TV series?

I loved performing for kids! It's such a precious time in our lives, and it takes a lot of trust for a parent to let their children watch you on TV. As a result, I have very special and fond memories of those petite fans and their parents.

You play the role of Maya Avant in "The Bold and the Beautiful" since 2013 and she has been married to Rick Forrester for almost four years. Do you remember your first day on the set of this show?

I do! It was so warm - I absolutely love the B&B family. It was also funny because, even though it is a glamorous show, my character was coming from prison. So, the only make-up I was allowed to wear was to create dark circles under my eyes!

In 2015 the character you play in "The Bold and the Beautiful" turned out to be a transgender woman. How did you react when you found out that there would be such a plot twist?

I have felt extremely honored to play Maya and especially this storyline. Mostly, I wanted to do a good job and to tell the story in as truthful a way as possible.

There are more and more LGBTQ characters in soap operas and they are very popular among viewers. Do you feel that soap operas are a good place to learn about tolerance and acceptance?

Absolutely! What's great about soap operas is that the fans are often inter-generational. Families and people of all ages watch the show. So, I think it is possible to open up conversations amongst different age groups whose views may be evolving. I think it can create create a space for healing or, at least, the opportunity to see a different perspective.


I know that apart from being an actress, you are also a very gifted singer and you sang in a musical "Dreamgirls". Can you tell us more about your singing experience and musical inspirations?

I love to sing! My family is very musical, so song has been encouraged in me from a very young age. I have also been able to sing on the show a few times - like when Maya met Rick in the coffee shop. I was actually singing one of my own original songs.

In 2018 you became a mother and there many photos of you and your baby on Instagram. Did motherhood change your attitude to life in any way?

I think it is making me more present. It also forces me to choose how I spend my alone time very carefully - because I have less of it now.

How can you describe your main aims and plans for 2019?

I'm really interested in reaching the next level. I feel very happy in my life - I'm so grateful for that. I have had many opportunities to travel, to be with family and friends, to perform on the stage and screen, to do philanthropic and social justice work, and to produce my own work. Now, I want to to all of that on larger or more spectacular platforms. And I want to continue to create spaces for others to do the same. I feel very excited!


If you want to learn more about Karla Mosley, please visit her official website:

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz